Wednesday 1 April 2015

School sport & Victoria Pendleton

I'm sure the word "PE" still associates awkward, discouraging and boring memories for many women who have left school. An interview with Victoria Pendleton on BBC Sport made me think about my personal thoughts on school sport and how lucky I was to be inspired to participate in sport throughout my school years. 

Although sports like hockey, football and netball are popular among many during school, there are many people who would love to try different sports and could possibly have potential in sports which are yet to be taught during school. Self-defense, martial arts, dancing and cycling are examples of activities which are not available in most schools, is it due to funding or a lack of knowledge/experience from the teachers? I think there could do more done to raise the interest and knowledge in the importance of sport and exercise on the body, especially with the stress inducing, fast paced society that we live in. 

A survey conducted by Sustrans found that half of the children surveyed wanted to ride to school and back, however, only 4% were allowed due to the parents fearing their safety. To me, this stems from views of people who think that children and adults should not participate in sports due to the risk factor, or if people will appear less masculine/feminine if they choose to participate in a certain activity. 

I personally love the "This girl can" campaign, I think it is such an eye-opener for women, men and others who believe that people shouldn't do a certain sport due to the 'norm', what others will think or how they appear to others. It always gives me goosebumps when I see the adverts on the TV, I love to see other women empowering each other! If we don't have the confidence to stand up and do what we love despite criticism or views of others, then views will remain the same. I think this campaign encourages change, equal rights and self confidence for all individuals! 




I think these messages should be encouraged by parents, teachers, coaches and family to inspire the future generations to do what they love, whilst promoting a positive outlook on exercise, health and their bodies :) What are your thoughts? #thisgirlcan



No comments:

Post a Comment