Sunday 12 April 2015

Cycling with back pain

I was so looking forward to getting a good block of training over the Easter holidays.. but this hasn't really happened. Although I have been on numerous rides, I had to cut several of the rides short due to agonising back pain! 
Last November, I was hit in a car crash from the rear on the way home after sitting my driving theory test (how ironic!) I went to hospital and the doctors for an examination and tablets, which they said should cover my pain until it stopped. How wrong was I to think that the pain would disappear after a few weeks!

I experienced awful pain and spasm in my lower/upper back and shoulders. I was forced to stop riding my bike for 3 months, along with my job until late January. During my time off, I just focused my energy on getting better and strengthening my back before I could even consider training again.
In February, I decided I had to start riding my bike again. I was having low moods and anxiety, I had to get back on my bike for my sanity and well-being. I began by doing a weekly core/strengthening class to work on strengthening my back and the muscles which support my back and core. When I was happy with my progress, I began by cycling an hour at a time when I felt good and my back wasn't too painful. 
I've had this back pain for 6 months, in which some days are worse than others. 

So, for those of you who also may suffer from neck or back pain on the bike, the following are the things that I do to help the pain. 


  • Take anti-inflammatory tablets prior to a ride
  • Take painkillers after a ride if you feel pain and soreness
  • Have a warm bath.. I love coming home from a ride and running a nice bubbling bath to ease my back! (Radox muscle soak is especially good for sore muscles)
  • Stretch-  Not only does this help the recovery and secretion of waste products, it also eases the stiffness in the muscles that can tighten during a ride
  • Ibuprofen gel-  This gel can be bought in most stores and really helps to warm up the muscles and ease the soreness!
My advice would be to avoid staying off the bike too long, keep moving & listen to your body. Sounds cliche, but, when your back is feeling especially painful, it can be a sign to stop and rest. I always feel angry at myself for having to cut the ride short due to my back but I know it is the best thing for it. 
I'm also thinking about joining a yoga class to help my flexibility and tightness of my back. If you know of any classes around Swansea then please comment below :-) 



No comments:

Post a Comment