Saturday 4 April 2015

Friday Flan day!

So Good Friday marks a special day.. I made my first dessert! No, it didn't involve any cooking or baking.. but it was rather yummy :-)
After pondering around Pinterest for hours the night before, I stumbled across several photos of Fruit Flan.. and it's pretty fair to say I fell in love with the exotic colours and intricate designs! I found this photo below on Pinterest, which gave me mahoosive food envy. 


Below are my attempts:






I thought I'd run through how I made the dessert and how long it took me, as it tasted so delicious! To save a little time on Good Friday, I decided to buy the Flan bases from a local shop and instead spent more than I should have on fruit! (You can never have enough fruit, right?) So if you want to do the same and skip the Flan making bit, then follow my instructions below :-)

Ingredients 
  • 1 medium egg, plus 1 extra egg yolk
  • 50 g/2 oz caster sugar
  • 25 g/1 oz plain flour
  • 300 ml/1/2 pint milk 
  • Few drops of vanilla essence
  • 450 g/1lb of strawberries ( I also used blueberries and raspberries) 
  • Mint leaves for decoration

So after buying the Flan and groping all the fruit in the shop, you'll want to start by making the filling for the Flan.
  1. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and pale. Gradually stir in the flour and then the milk. Then pour into a little saucepan and simmer for 3-4 minutes. I then added a few drops of the vanilla essence, this made the consistency much thicker.
  2. Pour into a bowl, cover with grease proof paper and let it cool (I found outside to be the fastest option).
  3. When the filling is cold, whisk it's little socks off until smooth and then poor evenly onto the flan base. I then added my finely chopped strawbs all over the flan, before adding the blueberries and raspberries around the middle :-) 
Optional, but I found adding a few mint leaves & ice cream on the side made it that extra special.. definitely a keeper! By the way, this recipe makes for 6 people, so I had to double it up.

Happy Easter to you all :-) X















No comments:

Post a Comment